Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Boxing Day: 26 December 2006 – at Sea

Day three at sea: Two hours back and worlds away from life ashore. Dreamy. Funny, no matter how many times I take to sea, I forget how long it takes for the body to surrender to the rhythm of ship life. Embarkation day: chaos. Day one: disorientation: Day two: a pattern begins to emerge for the voyage ( different for every body, different every trip. Day three: one awakes and realizes, ah…we are here.

Christmas Eve and Day aboard ship were a whirlpool of activity: lots of entertainment crew running around in elf costumes; St. Nick “landing” on the helipad all the way forward and then bringing gifts for the quite sizeable “Santa Age” contingent onboard this trip; and lots of special menus and delicacies to tempt one’s will. Alfredo and I fell into our routine early. Alfredo gyms first thing in the morning while I awake slowly and then make my way here to write. Then, we meet in the Cova for coffee followed by --- relaxation! We lunch on-deck, choosing from the lighter “Spa Menu.” Interestingly enough, while shipboard cuisine has a reputation for fattening one up, we find we usually lose weight after two weeks at sea. We actually eat less and at more predictable hours. Plus, there’s no better “stairmaster” than traversing 10 decks several times a day.

So far, one day of sun has helped with Alfredo’s wish for a pre-New Year’s tan. Today looks like it might cooperate as well. For me, gym ( not as daily disciplined as Alfredo I admit ) is in the afternoon followed by reading on a deck chair. I’ve picked up John Maxtone-Graham’s excellent “The Only Way to Cross” ( about my third time reading it I believe) from the ship’s library. I gave my first lecture yesterday – “The Titanic: Now & Then” – and want to brush up on a couple of my “WWI” liner facts before my next one. There’s nothing like re-reading a tome by someone you admire to pass the time on deck. Note to the library, however: no books by my pal Bill Miller or the great Frank Braynard. That’s really a shame – must fix that! Braynard, Miller and John M-G are the greatest maritime writers around – each with a unique perspective and tone. All are “must haves” for a fully stocked shipboard library! Reading at sea has got to be one of life’s great pleasures. Now, if they would just bring back bouillon service on deck!

The “Titanic” lecture was well received, and about 10 passengers stayed afterward with questions ( my favorite part) – so long in fact, we were kicked out of the room to make way for the next speaker! This morning, I even ran into some old friends, the Keenans, who remembered our talks from a former cruise and said they’re looking forward the next one: “Titanic’s Sisters: Olympic, Britannic and the Tides of War”. It’s not scheduled yet, but I believe tomorrow is likely.

The Pacific has been very kind so far, except for a wee bit of choppiness the first day out, quite respectful of first time cruisers. But, one never knows. Even we keep a bottle of “Sea Calm” tablets at bedside, which we reach for in the morning before rolling out of bed if the “motion of the ocean” seems to portend an off-balance day. Of course, a “Mary” either Bloody or Virgin around 12noon is the sure cure for all ills.

9:04am --- time for my better half to join me in the “Cova”. Outside, a couple plays quite expert shuffleboard ( old sea dogs). Husband and wife laugh and compete, continuing a tradition not much changed since the great Atlantic Ferry of the Golden Age. That pleases me. Internet access, on-board acupuncture, spas and Broadway style production shows are all very nice. But, all that’s needed to have the experience is a ship’s creaking frame, a steamer blanket, a good book and the occasional round of shuffleboard.

More anon.

No comments: